Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Cabbage, Sausage, Beef & Cheese Casserole

I am not a fan of cabbage what so ever, but this is the only way I will eat it.

Cabbage, Sausage, Beef & Cheese Casserole

1 lb. breakfast style pork sausage
1 lb. ground beef *I used ground turkey this time
1 med. head cabbage, chopped small
1 can ro*tel diced tomatoes & chilie's; undrained
1 c. raw rice (long grain)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. water
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped *I omitted the bell pepper this time as I didn't have any on hand
6 celery stalks, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped

Brown meats in a large skillet. Drain fat.

Add seasonings, tomatoes, rice and water. Cook 5 minutes.

Add cabbage. Cook 5 minutes. Place all ingredients in a large casserole dish, if not using an oven proof skillet. Set aside and begin making sauce.

SAUCE:

1/2 stick butter
1 tbsp. flour * I used wheat flour
1 c. milk
½ lb. processed velveeta cheese; cubed

Melt butter in a saucepan, then flour and blend with a whisk until smooth.

Add milk, then add cheese and stir. Cook until sauce is smooth & cheese is completely melted.

Pour sauce over ingredients in casserole.

Bake for 1 ½ hours at 350 degrees in covered dish. *I place my pan/casserole dish onto a cookie sheet to prevent any of the sauce from cooking over & making a mess in the oven*



Click HERE for printable recipe


No comments: