Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Two Step Mac-N-Cheese


(Image Source My Recipes)

Ok, if you know me then you are well aware that I am a huge fan of macaroni & cheese. I can eat it everyday all day if I had my choice. To me, this is one of the ultimate comfort foods! So as I am checking email I received a note from My Recipes for "2 Step Mac-n-Cheese." Now my favorite version is not the box kind but homemade. There was a time when I would only make the homemade version at holidays or special occasions. Then it dawned on me...isn't anytime you sit down to eat a meal with your family "special?" So that changed my view on things. Now I make it whenever we are in the mood for it. So when I saw this recipe it caught it my eye....

Two -Step Macaroni & Cheese

1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 ounces processed cheese (such as Velveeta), cubed
4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently; cook until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in macaroni. Serve immediately.

Now this recipe gives you a simple version of how to make it from scratch. However, there are a myriad of ways to spruce up this wonderful dish. I personally like mine baked instead of using just a simple sauce, but I will admit I have no problem eating it! *grin*

One of my favorite cheeses to use in making this is Gruyere and Fontina, along with a helping of heavy cream & of course real butter. Mmmmm...so yummy and filling.

I also found that if you are low on cheese or just need to make it stretch, beat and egg or two (depending on how large a casserole of it your making) in a bowl and add it along with your cream and cheese(s) and you will be surprised at how this helps to enrich the flavors and makes it seem like there is more cheese than there actually is. Pretty sneaky huh!?!

Click HERE to print recipe


No comments: