Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter Weather Turkey Chili (version 1)

Now, while at the market this morning, I had planned to buy more ground turkey meat as we were getting low. Unfortunately I only saw one store brand package in the meat cooler. So I asked the meat manager that was there if they had more in the back. He informs me that due to the weather the store trucks in the North are not able to get out so our local warehouse that supplies the stores are not able to get inventory. With the weather being so unpredictable, they were not sure when they would get another delivery in. I fully understood the situation but was a little disappointed thinking that I might have to try another market on the way home but then...the manager asked me how many packages I was in need of. I told him and he offered to let me have the Jennie-O brand ground turkey meat for a discount if I wanted.

Well, since the normal price of that brand is $5.99 (and it was on sale) I jumped at the offer. So he took a few packages to the back and marked them down for me. I only paid $2.99 for my meat!! That's a $3.00 savings per package, not to mention $1.00 cheaper than the store brand that I was going to get in the first place. So it doesn't hurt to ask if you don't see something you need out on the shelf. You never know what might happen if you do.

So with meat in hand and cold winds blowing, why not make a steamy pot of chili. Won't you join us for dinner tonight....

Winter Weather Turkey Chili
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 a large onion; diced
1 Tblsp. minced garlic
2 pints turkey stock
1 (15-oz) can black beans; drained & rinsed
1 (15-oz) can whole kernel corn; drained
1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
1 (12-oz) can diced tomatoes & green chilies
1 Tblsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
pinch of kosher salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
olive oil

In a preheated medium skillet, cook meat until no longer pink. Set aside.

In a heavy stock pot, heat 1-2 Tblsp. olive oil. Add chopped onions and saute until almost translucent. Shortly before onions are clear, add in garlic. Saute.

Add cooked ground meat, beans and corn. Combine to mix well.

Stir in spices and stock. Add in tomatoes and sauce. Stir well.

Cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes before serving.

Click HERE for printable recipe

**for a slightly different version of my turkey chili click here


No comments: