Thursday, August 27, 2009

Amish Green Tomato Bread

Several years ago my dear friend in Wisconsin shared a recipe with me that at the time, I thought was really not one that I wanted to try. After one taste I was so glad she shared it with me. So now I'm passing it on to you...I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as we do.

Amish Green Tomato Bread
3 eggs
1-1/2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
1 tsp. salt
1 Tblsp. vanilla extract
2 c. grated or diced green tomatoes; juices drained (I used 3 c. since that is what I had on hand)
3 c. flour
1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. raisins
1 c. chopped nuts


In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs.


Stir in sugar, oil, salt, vanilla & tomatoes.


In a smaller mixing bowl sift together flour, baking soda & baking powder.


Gradually add to the wet mixture, stirring to mix well.


Stir in raisins and nuts. (Since I had neither on hand, I used dried cranberries, that I soaked in water for a minute or two to rehydrate, instead.)


Divide batter evenly between 2 well greased bread loaf pans.


Bake at 350* for 45 minutes to an hour, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Click HERE for printable recipe

Recipe source: "From The Amish & Mennonite Kitchens" cookbook by Phyllis Pellman & Rachel Thomas Pellman


Deuteronomy 8:3 "And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live."


No comments: