Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Candied Yams

Next to the turkey one of the main staples that has to be on our Thanksgiving day menu are the candied yams. I know everyone has their own way of preparing them, but here's how I do it...

Candied Yams

1 large can of yams in syrup
1/3 c. brown sugar
3 Tblsp. honey
1 Tblsp. cinnamon
2 Tblsp. molasses
2-3 tsp. vanilla
corn starch


Drain yams; reserving juice. Dice yams and place into a medium casserole.




To the reserved juice, add in honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, molasses and vanilla.


Stir and blend well.


Add in about 3 Tablespoonfuls of cornstarch to juice. Stir well. you will want the juice to thicken slightly but not be too thick.


Pour juice over yams.


Bake for 30-25 minutes or until juice is bubbly, in a preheated 350* oven. Remove from oven and top with marshmallows. Return to oven and bake until marshmallows are slightly melted and golden. Serve warm.

*I am not going to bake my yams until tomorrow so I will just cover the casserole with a lid and refrigerate it until morning. Then I will cook as usual.

Click HERE for printable recipe

No comments: