Friday, April 8, 2011

Lemon Pound Cake

One of my favorite cookbooks, next to Gooseberry Patch, is "When Friends Gather" by Susan Cannon. One year my good friend over at Blessings Beyond and I went to a craft fair and it was there that we were introduced to the author and her books. Susan is one of the sweetest, most personable ladies I have ever had the priviledge to meet. Not only did I buy "When Friends Gather" but I also bought "Where Hearts Gather" Let me tell you, if you have the chance to pick up either of these books, you will not be disappointed.

Since we have a family birthday coming this Saturday I decided to make one of my favorite cakes from the book, Lemon Pound Cake. This is such a tasty cake that's sure to be a hit with your friends and family.

1 c. butter flavor shortening
2 c. sugar
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
4 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
2 Tblsp. lemon extract

Preheat oven to 325*.

Grease & flour bundt pan. In large mixing bowl cream together shortening & sugar.

In a medium size bowl mix remaining dry ingredients together. Gradually add to creamed sugar mixture; mix until well incorporated. Add in eggs & buttermilk. Beat well. Mix in extract.

Pour batter into prepared cake pan & bake for 75-90 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto cake plate & glaze while still hot.

Glaze:

2 c. powdered sugar
2 Tblsp. bottled lemon juice or the juice of one lemon

C
ombine powdered sugar & lemon juice. Stir well. Pour over hot cake. If need be, return cake to oven for a few minutes until glaze melts.

C
lick HERE for printable recipe

No comments: