Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tomato Soup Bread

Years ago I saw a recipe for a cake that used Campbell's Tomato Soup. I thought....Yuck! Then the other day I saw the same recipe again and this time I thought....what the heck, it may actually taste ok. So last night I gave it a whirl. The aroma wafting from the kitchen was heavenly!! The taste....it reminded me of Fall. It was very delicious. Next time I might make a glaze for it, but even plain it's tasty.

2 Tblsp margarine
1 egg
1 c. sugar
1 can tomato soup
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp all spice
1 c. raisins (optional)
1/2 c. nuts (optional)

In a small bowl, stir together soup & baking soda. Stir well until the foam settles.

In a large bowl, cream together margarine, egg & sugar.

In another bowl, stir together cinnamon, flour & all spice. Add alternately with soup mixture to the creamed mixture. Add raisins and nuts if using.

Pour into greased bread loaf pan. Bake at 350* for about 50 minutes.

Click HERE for printable recipe

*Original recipe source: Mennonite Girls Can Cook

No comments: