Monday, June 14, 2010

Amish Blueberry Cake


There is just something about the Amish that has captivated my interest. From their modest attire, family values, work ethics and moral beliefs ~ the Amish have such a fascinating way of life. I have always wanted to visit a real Amish community and be able to experience their everyday way of life. For now though, I enjoy reading all that I can about them and trying some of their recipes at home. One thing I have noticed is that these recipes usually call for few, yet simple ingredients. They definitely aren't budget buster recipes but most of what I have tried have definitely been tasty. One such tasty and simple recipe is the one I made for tonight's desert. Blueberries are my favorite fruit and this cake certainly compliments that flavor nicely.

Amish Blueberry Cake
Cake:

3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. blueberries, well drained





Cream together sugar, oil and egg until lemon colored. Stir in milk. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and stir into creamed mixture. Gently fold in blueberries. Spread batter into greased and floured 9x9 square pan. Sprinkle with topping. Bake for 45-50 minutes at 375*

Topping:
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon


Combine with fork or pastry cutter. Crumble over cake batter.

Recipe Source: Amish Recipes

Click HERE for printable recipe



Amish Blueberry Cake on Foodista

No comments: