Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dinner With The Contessa


(Photo source Food Network)

The other day I was watching "The Barefoot Contessa" and the episode featured a bbq at the beach. I can pass on the scallops but the burgers she made intrigued me. So what else could I do than make a batch myself and do my own taste test. Let me tell you , these burgers are so moist and juicy. I love the hint of dijon that you get in the meat itself. Unlike the fancier burgers that use so many ingredients that mask the flavor of the meat, this burger definitely stood out on it's own. It's a definite make again meal.

This is the original recipe for Niman Ranch Burgers that she made. I also varied her recipe for the caramelized onions but used balsamic vinegar & a lesser amount of onions as that is what I had on hand. That was a very tasty topping.

Barefoot Burgers

4-lb. ground meat
2 Tblsp. dijon mustard
6 Tblsp. olive oil
1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper



Place the ground beef in a large bowl and add the mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix gently with a fork to combine, taking care not to compress the ingredients. Shape the meat into 12 patties of equal size and thickness. (I doubled the recipe but if you use 2-lbs of meat you will yield 6 patties.) Place patties in the refrigerator if not using right away. Otherwise, grill as you normally would.

Click HERE for printable recipe

Carmelized Onions
1 Tblsp. olive oil
1 Tblsp unsalted butter
1-lb. yellow onions, peeled and sliced in half-rounds
1 Tblsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Heat the olive oil and butter in a large shallow pot, add the onions and thyme, and toss with the oil. Place the lid on top and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes to sweat the onions. Remove the lid and continue to cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes, until the onions are caramelized and golden brown. If the onions are cooking too fast, lower the heat. Add the vinegar, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 more minutes, scraping the brown bits from the pan. Season to taste.

Click HERE for printable recipe


Serve topped with caramelized onions, a fried egg or whatever your taste buds desire.


Of course nothing beats a good burger unless of course it's served on homemade hamburger buns!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a HUGE Ina fan! These burgers look over-the-top!

Blessings!
Gail

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

Perfection. I know that had to be the best burger ever. I took all of the recipes and placed into one document so I can try all at one time. Excellent!

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

I was recovering from a medical procedure and saw the same episode! I agree, nothing makes a homemade burger taste better than homemade buns.
Mrs.B